Acne can be completely frustrating, it can lessen a person's self confidence. If you suffer from acne, either as an adult or a teen and have tried all sorts of products to clear your skin, all sorts of DIY but to no avail, chances are you might be doing something wrong. For me, I battled acne at the peak of my teenage years up to my early 20's before I finally understood why my acne was getting worse by the years and how I could get rid of my acne for good! Nobody wants love from acne, we all want to break free from acne as hard as possible. But take a second to think of it, don't you think you are showering your acne with so many things it likes and its refusing to leave?! Let's consider few things you might be doing that is making your acne worsen or not getting cleared.
1. YOU FAIL TO UNDERSTAND YOUR ACNE! One of the biggest issue I have come to realize is that people don't really understand or even try to understand their acne, what causes it, what has happened to their skin and why acne flare up for some and calms down for some. So many people are in a hurry to get rid of that acne the moment they set eyes on it on their face or body without taking time to determine what could have possibly caused the acne or breakout. Acne tend to occur around puberty when the sebaceous gland that produce sebum(oily secretion) starts to function. When too much sebum is produced, the oil can clog up pores and hair follicles thereby attracting bacteria which leads to acne. Acne has to do with your hormones not dirt or diet. Although if you are on a strict skincare regimen but your skin isn't clearing up, you should take a look at your diet. Greasy foods, Chocolate, Diary in particular causes problems with acne-sufferers. They don't cause acne, but can make it worse.
2. YOU CONSTANTLY PICK ON YOUR ACNE Constantly picking and forceful squeezing on the pimples on your face will do no good but serious harm. Picking on the pimples will push the plug of debris deeper into the skin and this will make the blemish worse and prolong the healing time. Leave your face alone for beauty sakes! It is really hard to stop popping pimples but please fight the urge and stop popping! I used to be a real pimples popper (if that's even a word) it would dry out for few days after popping only to come back stronger and bigger. Until I learnt the importance of leaving my face alone and extracting safely. If you want to self extract that pimples or blackhead at least do that safely. This can be done with pimples extracting pins or in a professional spa.
3. STOP SPENDING MONEY ON 'ABRACADABRA' CURES There are several supplements, herbs and special creams that claim to COMPLETELY CURE ACNE, but the truth is no matter how many products you dab on that acne, No matter how much medication you use, you can never PERMANENTLY cure your acne if you don't know what the cause of the acne is. Cosmetics designed for acne only helps to dry out the visible ones and help keep the acne in check that doesn't mean a new one can't spring up! They don't stop the factors responsible for the acne. Therefore they can never PERMANENTLY cure your acne.
4. YOU ARE NOT ON THE RIGHT ACNE PROGRAM The best products that help control acne are products containing Salycilic acid and Benzoyl Peroxide. Salicylic acid acts as an exfoliant, cleansing the pores and clogged follicles of excess sebum while calming irritation. Benzoyl Peroxide will kill bacteria that causes acne. Any product that contain this two ingredients can help clear up the skin in a matter of weeks.
5. YOU DONT USE A TREATMENT FOR LONG ENOUGH Inflamed and acne-probed skin takes time to calm down and heal. Always be patient when treating acne, allow for at least 6weeks to 2months of a regimen before giving up and trying something else. And make sure you are applying the treatment to the right places and all over the affected area. If you spot treat, the bacterial could start growing somewhere else. Don't be in a hurry to get rid of that acne and stop a regimen. Some people stop immediately their skin clears up only to realize the skin flares up again even stronger! Always keep up with a regimen for a few weeks even after skin has cleared up and slowly drop the regimen. If you abruptly stop a regimen your acne could come back at any chance it gets and it will become resistant to any product used on it.
6. KNOW WHEN TO SEE A DERMATOLOGIST! Some types of acne can be treated using over-the-counter products effectively, some can't. If you acne isn't clearing up after so much efforts, my dear it's time to drop the products and visit a Dermatologist! Dermatologist understand the science of the skin more than cosmetic formulators they can better help you determine the causes of your acne and the best program to help get rid of them. Always remember that acne is genetic, some are caused by a slight careless skin regimen that irritates the skin, this ones can be easily worked with and gotten rid of. Some acne however are in the gene(hereditary). If your parents or any member of your family have history of acne then chances are you might suffer from acne too. These kind of acne a can only be treated by dermatologist through series of tests and draining. Whatever the case, don't allow your acne dictate your self confidence, you are still as beautiful as you would be without acne. If you feel beautiful inside, you are a million times beautiful on the outside!